You may not be able to get the items and ingredients you would normally buy to cook. This can be frustrating. But, it is also a time to create or re-invent recipes using the foods you already have in your pantry. When you do go out to the store, try buying some non-perishable foods to stock up your pantry. Non-perishable items are one with longer shelve life and do not require refrigeration. Here is a list of 10 non-perishable foods to have in your pantry:
- Canned or dried beans (such as black or red kidney beans)
- Frozen or canned vegetables (such as green beans or peas)
- Nut butters (try peanut or I like almond)
- Low-sodium canned soup
- Potatoes (these can include red, white or sweet)
- Oats or oatmeal
- Frozen or canned fruit (such as peaches or pineapples)
- Dried pasta with your choice of jarred pasta sauce (maybe tomato, alfredo or dried pesto)
- Canned fish (such as tuna or salmon)
Here are some amazing recipes to try at home:
- Black bean burger; this are so easy to make and requires basic ingredients like canned black beans, eggs, onions, green bell paper and bread crumbs.
- Tuna salad; just add mayo, celery and red onions!
- Overnight oats- a very healthy and nutritious breakfast. In a mason jar or sealable food container, add in oats, desired amount of milk or yogurt, and let them sit in the refrigerator overnight. Add in some fruit for a nice topping.
- Mixed berry smoothie;
- Fruit juice (such as apple or orange) or Milk (whole, almond, or cocoanut)
- Fruit (ie. berries, bananas, mango, peaches- frozen or fresh)
- Honey (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth.
- Rice with peas; wash and drain the rice, heat the saucepan and add butter and let melt. Stir in clove, cinnamon, Serrano, Chile and ginger. Mix in rice and stir to coat evenly. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. ( by allreceipe.com)
- Black eyed pea soup: stir black-eyed peas, diced tomatoes with green chilies, source, garlic, canned green chilies, molasses, beef, bouillon cubes, black pepper and cumin until thoroughly mixed. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and let simmer for 45 minutes.
This are just but a few recipes you can easily try. Try more. We want to see what pantry recipes you come up with. Take a photo and tag us using the hashtag #dancetowellnesspantryrecipes.
Find out more!
To learn more about Dance to Wellness, group fitness classes or other services offered, please contact us to discover your options.