January 19th-25th celebrates National Healthy Weight Week. It is observed to recognize and bring awareness to the troubling amount of individuals who are overweight or obese in the United States. It traditionally is celebrated the third week in January, and has been the case since 1994. Maintaining a healthy weight is part of being fully well. A good and healthy weight can be one way to reduce your risk of various chronic health conditions such as diabetes, arthritis and cancer.
Maintaining a healthy weight is important at any age. But it is particularly important as we get older. With age, our bodies are more susceptible to different kinds of illnesses. However many of these diseases can be prevented just by having a healthy weight. Here are a few ways weight (being overweight) can have a negative impact on your well-being:
– Being overweight puts extra strain on your joints, which can in turn, limit your mobility
It is important to take care of our bodies, and maintaining a healthy weight is one way to do so. You will improve the quality of life and daily activities as you age in a way that that leads to a healthier, happier and longer life.
Looking for a fun way to celebrate National Healthy Weight Week? Here are some ideas for you to consider:
– Host a fitness party; invite your family, friends or co-workers to work out to your favorite tunes
– Go for a walk; Walking is one of the easiest ways to get moving
– Host a healthy brunch; get your group together and check out a new restaurant with some healthier options
– Get your rest; Aim for at least 6-8 hours every night to help you feel more energized and rejuvenated
– Share this information and more with your family, friends and network on social media (#healthyweightweek)
Hoping you will be celebrating this holiday and see the benefits, then turn the one week into a daily routine and eventually into a lifestyle. Happy National Healthy Weight Week!
Find out more!
For more about these class formats, group fitness classes or other services offered, please contact us to discover your options.