Many illnesses can be treated if detected. There are more options available when a health condition is detected in an early stage of its development. Thus, this is why we (and especially men) are encouraged to regularly stay on top of their health. When we prolong seeking support from a medical professional, it leads to a lack of proper awareness, contributing to an increase in the number of health issues in men and probably more death. Some of health concerns that more commonly affect men include:
- Heart disease. More men suffer from heart disease compared to women.
- Lung cancer: A higher percentage of men are smokers than women- a leading cause of lung cancer.
- Depression and suicide. It is estimated that approximately 6 million men suffer from depressive disorders this of which includes suicidal thoughts.
- Parkinson’s disease. This is a progressive nervous system disorder that affects the body movement. When it is progressive it meaning it worsens directly with time increase. It affects 50% more men than women.
Most of the above mentioned chronic diseases affect our men more. During men’s health awareness month, this is a time to encourage the men in our lives to choose healthier lifestyles, go for checkups and to live longer. The men in our lives matter and we need to encourage them get general health screening such as:
- Colonoscopy: screening done to detect any abnormalities or changes in the colon and the rectum.
- Blood pressure
Vitamins/medications or getting vaccines for:
When it comes to nutrition, having a diet that includes:
Most importantly is physical activity- it is recommended to exercise at least 150 minutes per week.
It is key for all people to have a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle includes eating a nutrient-dense diet, maintaining a healthy weight, avoiding smoking and excess alcohol. This can help prevent most chronic diseases and helps to ensure we liv a healthy life as we age.
During this time you can show support by wearing blue.
Find out more!
To learn more about Dance to Wellness, group fitness classes or other services offered, please contact us to discover your options.