The immune system is our body’s defense against germs. The most common germs that can enter our body can include bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites and toxins. For the immune system to work at its best, it needs several key nutrients such as Vitamins C, A, E and Zinc.
- Vitamin C: supports the cells needed in the immune system and can be found in foods such as citrus fruits, cauliflower and red bell peppers
- Vitamin A: contains antioxidants that helps the body fight germs and can be found in foods such as dark leafy greens
- Vitamin E: contains antioxidants that helps the body fight infections and can be found in foods such as almonds, asparagus, mango and avocado
- Zinc: essential mineral for a healthy immune system can be found in foods such as meat/poultry and beans
One great way to get most of these ingredients in one dish is to make a nice salad.
Mandarin Orange Spinach Salad with Chicken Recipe:
- 2 Chicken Breast Cutlets
- 1 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- A 10 oz Bag of Baby Spinach
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Sliced
- A 15oz can of Mandarin Oranges
- ½ cup of Marcona Almonds
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat on a stove
- Cook the Chicken Breast Cutlets about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through
- Set Chicken aside to cool
- Slice Red Bell Peppers
- Drain the juice from can of Mandarin Oranges
- Cut up the Chicken Breast Cutlet into bite sized pieces
- In a large bowl combine Baby Spinach, Chicken Breast pieces, sliced Red Bell Pepper, drained Mandarin Oranges and Marcona Almonds, toss to mix everything together
- Serve and enjoy!